The Barking Butler is the Jersey Shore's premier pet sitting, dog walking, and pet taxi service. The Barking Butler provides pet sitting, dog walking, and pet taxi services in Wall Township, Belmar, Brielle, Manasquan, Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights, Sea Girt, Avon-by-the-Sea, Bradley Beach, Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, Neptune and Neptune City.
At The Barking Butler, we understand that “life” happens. The safety of your pet is our number one priority and will always supersede any of the below terms and conditions. These policies are in place to ensure that there is no abuse of our service or cancellation policies, as our team depends on a reliable schedule to provide your 4-legged family members with the premium, 5-Star Service they deserve.
1. Services: The Barking Butler LLC dba The Barking Butler Pet Care (THE BARKING BUTLER LLC) agrees to provide pet sitting, dog walking, and pet taxi services in a reliable, caring, and trustworthy manner. In consideration of these services and as an express condition thereof, the Client waives and relinquishes any and all claims against THE BARKING BUTLER LLC, except those arising from proven negligence.
2. Employees: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is owned by David and Daniel Holzapfel. David and Daniel hire qualified employees, for the company, and designate a management team. Management decides which employee will hold responsibility over each visit to Client’s pet(s). In the event of an illness or injury to designated employee that prevents him/her from performing service, Management will notify the Client and arrange for either another employee, to attain Client’s key(s) and care for pet(s). Employees in training may accompany designated employee on visits unless otherwise established in writing but Management will inform Client that trainee will be in attendance.
3. Insurance: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC agrees to maintain liability insurance for all active employees through the Mourer-Foster Agency (Kennel Pro).
4. Damage to the Home: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC shall not be held responsible for any damage to the Client’s property caused by Client’s pet(s) unless such damage is caused by a negligent act by THE BARKING BUTLER LLC. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC carries bonding through the Mourer-Foster Agency (Kennel Pro). THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not responsible for damage to the home beyond the employee’s control. This includes, but is not limited to: leaks, electrical problems, and acts of nature. In these situations, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will attempt to contact the Client and the Emergency Contact before making a subjective decision on dealing with the damage. All repairs and related fees, including but not limited to THE BARKING BUTLER LLC emergency service time and coordination fees, will be paid by the Client.
5. Home Security: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not liable for any loss or damage in the event of a burglary or other crime that occurs during a service period. Client agrees to secure home prior to leaving the premises. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will re-secure the home according to Client instructions at the end of each visit. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC accepts no responsibility for loss to the premises if other individuals have access to Client’s home, or if the home is not properly secured by Client. At the time that service is booked, owner will notify THE BARKING BUTLER LLC of everyone who has been granted access to the home during the service period and will notify anyone entering the home that THE BARKING BUTLER LLC has access to and will be entering the home.
6. Scheduling/Invoicing: Client is responsible for scheduling service through the THE BARKING BUTLER LLC’s Time to Pet Client Portal. The portal can be accessed at www.timetopet.com/portal/thebarkingbutler. Service can be scheduled by clicking on the Schedule tab and selecting +Request New Service. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management will confirm scheduled services through Time to Pet. Clients are required to put a credit card on file in the Time to Pet system. All services must be scheduled 24 hours in advance of the first visit and Clients are strongly encouraged to book services 2-3 weeks in advance. Clients requesting services with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged a $5 Late Booking Fee.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC’s administrative hours are 7:00 am to 11:00 pm each day of the week. Although some inquiries may be answered outside of these hours, Client understands that response likely will not be received after 11:00 pm. In the event of an emergency, Client can call or text our business line at 732 392 6330 and leave a voicemail. We will periodically check the voicemail after hours in case of emergency.* Clients are welcome to submit requests through the Time to Pet portal at any time recognizing that THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management will respond when administrative hours start again.
7. Visit Times: At time of booking, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC provides a time interval during which visits will occur. If an unforeseen situation arises, the time interval may be adjusted. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC visits are scheduled to occur during the following intervals:
Early Riser – 5:00 am-9:00 am
Morning – 9:00 am-11:00 am
Midday – 11:00 am-1:00 pm
Early Afternoon – 1:00 pm-3:00 pm
Late Afternoon – 3:00 pm-5:00 pm
Early Evening - 5:00 pm-7:00 pm
Evening – 7:00 pm-9:00 pm
Late Night – 9:00 pm-12:00 am
Client can request a specific interval, at the time of booking, and THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will approve or reject request.
8. Inclement Weather: In the event of inclement weather or natural disaster, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is entrusted to use best judgment in caring for Client’s pet(s) and home, unless instructed by Client in writing to do otherwise. If circumstances beyond our control prohibit THE BARKING BUTLER LLC from following instructions, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will be held harmless for consequences related to such decisions.
During summer months, weather in New Jersey can reach very high temperatures. Length of walks during extreme weather conditions is at the discretion of THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC may shorten the length of outside time to protect the health of pet(s). THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees will honor the scheduled visit time by extending inside time with pet(s). THE BARKING BUTLER LLC shall not be held liable for any injury to pet due to extreme temperatures unless negligence can be proven.
Dog Walking Rain Cancellations
On rainy days, Dog Walking clients may choose to cancel their walk at no penalty. Full payment will be credited to the Client’s account. Client may also choose to retain visit with a short bathroom break and then quality walker-dog time inside the home for the duration of the visit.
Hurricane Evacuation Policy
Hurricane Season is defined as the time period between June 1st and November 30th annually. Any THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Client booking in-home pet sitting services during Hurricane Season is responsible for the evacuation of Client’s own pet(s). Because Client could be unavailable to evacuate own pet in an emergency, Client must provide THE BARKING BUTLER LLC with an Emergency Contact who can evacuate pet(s) in the event of a hurricane or other natural disaster.
If Hurricane Emergency Contact is different from Client’s primary Emergency Contact, contact information for Hurricane Emergency Contact will be entered in THE BARKING BUTLER LLC’s Time to Pet portal in the Notes section. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will refuse service during Hurricane Season to Clients who do not list a designated Hurricane Emergency Contact in the Time to Pet portal.
It is at the discretion of THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management as to the exact Evacuation Plan for THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees. In the event of the threat of a hurricane, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC representative will contact Client to notify about expected evacuation plan and timeline. Within 12 hours, Client must respond to THE BARKING BUTLER LLC representative regarding evacuation plan for pet.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC may apply funds for future visits to other time spent at Client’s home securing premises and preparing pet for evacuation. Client must direct THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees to all pet supplies including but not limited to pet carriers, vet records, extra food, extra medications, collars, and ID and immunization tags at the time of evacuation.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not liable for any damage to home or injury to pet(s) leading up to, during, or after evacuation. If Client or Hurricane Emergency Contact is unable to retrieve and/or evacuate pet(s), THE BARKING BUTLER LLC cannot guarantee the evacuation of or safety of Client’s pet(s).
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC reserves the right to postpone or cancel service if it is deemed unsafe to travel or a State of Emergency is declared. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC can arrange for snow removal during CLIENT absence, but CLIENT agrees to all charges associated with it.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC requires all payments be made prior to services being rendered. Clients must put a credit card on file on the Time to Pet Portal (www.timetopet.com/portal/thebarkingbutler). Cash or check payments can be sent to the office directly.
Pet Sitting: A payment equal to the cost of the first visit is due at the time of booking to reserve visits on employees’ calendars. Management will charge the credit card on file and send an invoice for the full amount indicating a payment has been applied.
All fees for THE BARKING BUTLER LLC pet sitting services are to be paid in full at least 24 hours prior to the first visit of each scheduled pet sitting trip. Client can choose to pay the invoice before this time by going to the Invoices tab on their Time to Pet portal and selecting Make a Payment. If Client has not made a payment by the day of the first visit, an additional $5 late payment fee will be added and Management will charge the credit card on file for the full amount of the invoice.
Dog Walking: Fees for weekly THE BARKING BUTLER LLC dog walking services are to be paid at least 24 hours in advance of the first day of service each week. Management will send an invoice for services by Friday of the previous week. If Client has not made a payment by first day of weekly service, an additional $5 late payment fee will be added and Management will charge credit card then.
Monthly VIP Membership: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management will charge Client credit card on file automatically on the 1st of each month for amount Client has authorized.
10. Holiday Fees: There is an additional $10 holiday fee per day on:
New Year’s Day (January 1st)
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
Easter Sunday (different Sunday each year)
Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
Independence Day (July 4th)
Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November)
Christmas Eve Day (December 24th)
Christmas Day (December 25th)
New Year’s Eve (December 31st)
11. Cancellations/Service Reduction Fees: Cancellations must be received at least 24 hours prior to the visit. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC does not provide refunds in the event of a cancellation or service reduction. Exceptions to the cancellation fee are only in the event of a rainy day dog walk cancellation as mentioned in article 8 (Inclement Weather: Dog Walking Rain Cancellations) or due to pet illness. Clients who purchase the THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Membership Program are not charged additional cancellation or service reduction fees; however, any booked service (whether cancelled or not) will be counted against Client’s guaranteed service for the month.
12. Declined Credit Cards: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC requires payment in cash anytime a credit card is declined. Should a declination incur fees for THE BARKING BUTLER LLC, Client is responsible for said fees. In the event that it is necessary to initiate collection proceedings, Client is responsible for all THE BARKING BUTLER LLC attorney fees and costs of collection. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC also reserves the right to deny service in the event of a credit card declination.
13. Communication: All client communication with THE BARKING BUTLER LLC must go through the Time to Pet portal. Should other instructions be communicated outside of the portal, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC cannot be held accountable for following said instructions.
Client must fill out the My Info and Pets tabs of the portal fully at least 24 hours before Blind Date initial client consultation. Client is responsible for maintaining the data integrity of all information on the Time to Pet portal and shall not hold THE BARKING BUTLER LLC liable for misinformation found on the portal and resulting errors related to caring for pet or home.
14. Complaints: Client agrees to discuss any post-service concerns with Management within 48 hours of service period. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management takes complaints very seriously and seeks to rectify any concerns.
15. Key Handling: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC requires two copies of Client’s house key(s). If keys are not given to THE BARKING BUTLER LLC during the initial, Complimentary Client Consultation, Client must drop key(s) at In The Doghouse Pet Grooming during normal business hours. Key(s) must be received two days in advance of first visit, unless special arrangements are made with Management.
Upon receipt of keys, Management labels keys with name of pet(s) and the business telephone number. One key is distributed to primary pet caregiver and spare key is stored in a secure location. Once service is complete, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will keep Client keys on file for future bookings unless Client requests keys back in writing. Client understands that keys will be placed in secure location until future service is requested or until keys are requested back in writing. Should keys be requested back, Client will arrange with Management a time and location convenient to Management to pick keys up. Should Client request keys back, it will be the responsibility of Client to arrange drop off of keys back to Management prior to next scheduled service.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC does offer lockout service. In the event that Client is locked out of home, Client can call THE BARKING BUTLER LLC on business line 732 392 6330 to request key service. Client understands that THE BARKING BUTLER LLC may not answer if after hours and that it may take up to 1 hour for THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee to retrieve key from secure location and bring to Client in his or her location. If Management is able to bring key to Client, the cost for key service is set at $20.00 per occurrence and is due by credit card immediately upon delivery of key.
16. House Cleanliness: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will provide light cleanup after your pets. Clients inform THE BARKING BUTLER LLC of designated area for appropriate cleaning supplies via the Time to Pet portal. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not responsible for carpet/flooring stains created by your pet(s). THE BARKING BUTLER LLC requires Client provide plastic bags, towels, cleaning products, paper towels, and trash bags. If additional THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee time is required for cleaning, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management will notify Client and reserves the right to charge $40.00/hour for additional cleanup time. Should a more thorough cleaning be necessary, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC offers professional cleaning service through a local business partner. Client can request hourly cleaning services at the time of booking services and THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will negotiate pricing and services at that time. For trips over one week in length, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will encourage Client to purchase cleaning service.
17. Errands: Client agrees to purchase adequate supplies including but not limited to food, litter, medication, and cleaning supplies for the duration of service period before service begins and inform THE BARKING BUTLER LLC of location of additional supplies via the Time to Pet portal. Should THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee require additional supplies, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC reserves the right to bill Client for running an errand at a rate of $20.00 per store plus the purchase cost. Payment/reimbursement is due to THE BARKING BUTLER LLC within 3 days of errand.
18. Plants: Caring for plants is a free part of any of THE BARKING BUTLER LLC pet sitting or dog walking services, and THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees will do their best to follow care instructions for indoor/outdoor plants. However, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees are not plant experts and are not responsible for any indoor/outdoor plants.
19. Medications: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees will attempt to administer medications as directed but THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not responsible for complications that arise as a result. There is an additional fee for the delivery of medication by injection, pilling, and other more difficult means as determined by THE BARKING BUTLER LLC. Medication fees are not charged if pill is taken in food or treat. If THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee is unable to administer medication, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will not be held accountable for any arising complications and will not reimburse client for medication fee. Client must give clear instructions on medication in administration through Time to Pet portal; other instructions will not be honored.
20. Veterinary Care: The Client authorizes THE BARKING BUTLER LLC to transport pet(s) to and from their preferred veterinary clinic if necessary. The Client also authorizes THE BARKING BUTLER LLC to utilize an alternative veterinarian in the event the primary veterinarian is unavailable or THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees in partnership with Management determine that going to a nearby location would be in best interest for pet’s health. Client must fill out attached Veterinarian Authorization to inform veterinarian that THE BARKING BUTLER LLC can act on Client’s behalf.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will make every effort to contact Client prior to obtaining emergency care. If Client cannot be reached in case of an emergency, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will attempt to reach Emergency Contact. Should Emergency Contact be unreachable, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC shall act on Client’s behalf to authorize any treatment with the exclusion of euthanasia.
The Client accepts responsibility for any charges related to emergency care. In the event that Client cannot be reached and THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management uses THE BARKING BUTLER LLC funds to pay for emergency care, Client must reimburse THE BARKING BUTLER LLC within 3 days of veterinarian visit. Client understands that THE BARKING BUTLER LLC also reserves the right to charge for additional THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee time spent transporting and staying with pet as a result of emergency.
21. Contagious Illness/Vaccinations: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC does not service pets that have an active, contagious illness. Client must notify THE BARKING BUTLER LLC of any health condition pet has or risk related to pet’s routine behaviors. If THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees are bitten or exposed to any disease or ailment received from the Client’s pet(s), the Client will be responsible for all costs and damages that may be incurred as a result. Client is responsible for all medical expenses and damages resulting from an injury to THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees caused by pet(s).
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC requires proof of vaccination at the time of Complimentary Consultation. Client may give hard copy of vaccination paperwork to THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee(s) during the Complimentary Client Consultation or can email records to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the Complimentary Client Consultation. Vaccination records will be uploaded to the Time to Pet client portal by THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employee. Client can see uploaded documents on My Info tab of portal.
Client must email updated vaccine records to email@example.com as requested. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will request updated records annually. Below is the list of required vaccines for THE BARKING BUTLER LLC clients:
bordatella – if dog is sometimes kenneled
panleukopenia (feline distemper)
feline herpesvirus type I (rhinotracheitis)
feline leukemia virus – if cat has exposure to outdoors or other outdoor cats
feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) – if cat has exposure to outdoors or other outdoor cats
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC also requires that all pets in our care be kept current with a flea/heart worm preventative.
22. Other Dogs: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC does our best to keep interaction with stray or strange dogs to a minimum when walking Client’s dog(s). For the safety of your pet and our staff, THE BARKING BUTLER LLC employees will do our best to avoid all interaction with other animals. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will not be held liable for any harm to dog due to interaction with another dog unless negligence can be proven.
23. Outdoor Cats/Dogs Off-Leash: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not liable for the injury, disappearance, death, or fines of any pet(s) with unsupervised access to the outdoors.
THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will allow dogs off-leash only at the instruction of Client, only when THE BARKING BUTLER LLC feels that dog will behave if given that freedom, and only within a secure, fully gated location. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not responsible for any additional liability that may arise as a result of dog being off-leash unless Client has expressly stated that dog must not be off leash.
24. Pet Transportation: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC will provide transportation for Client’s pet(s) in accordance with written instructions in the Time to Pet portal. THE BARKING BUTLER LLC is not liable for any injury that may occur in the process of transporting pet(s).
25. Privacy: Client information will be kept private and confidential. Client will receive email communication from THE BARKING BUTLER LLC unless Client indicates in writing to remove Client from THE BARKING BUTLER LLC email list.
26. Photo Release: Client agrees that THE BARKING BUTLER LLC may capture pet’s likeness in photos, video, and other media and use likeness on company website, social media, and other marketing materials. Client understands that Client is not due any payment for the use of pet’s likeness for THE BARKING BUTLER LLC purposes.
27. Client Membership Program: THE BARKING BUTLER LLC offers Clients the opportunity to participate in its VIP Membership Program.
Upon enrollment in the THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Membership Program, Clients receive a guaranteed time slot and will be placed with a regular sitter. Payment for the VIP Membership is due on the 1st of each month. If Client wishes to cancel the service, notification must be made prior to the 15th of the current month. Client will not be reimbursed for the payment made during the same month and can choose to continue or halt their services.
To cancel your membership, please call David (732 392 6330) between the hours of 7:00am and 11:00pm or send us a message any time through our client portal, Time To Pet.
*The definition of emergency is at the discretion of THE BARKING BUTLER LLC Management.